Today we were reading the story of Squanto the Indian who helped the Pilgrims. The story starts off with him as a boy living with the Native Americans. While he is a boy he leaves with some English traders and goes back to England. He stays there until he is grown. While he is there he is captured and sold as a slave.
At this point in the story one of my sensitive little boys raises his hand and asks, "Was he a human?" I paused and said, "Yes... wait. What do you mean?" He asked again, "Was he a human?" I said, "An Indian? Or do you mean was he a grown up? Was he a man?" He said, "Yes."
He is a triplet and his brothers look back at him and say, "Man, do you even know what a human is? You are a human."
This sensitive little guys is beginning to well up with tears as he says, "Yes." Then I proceded to tell the class that we are all humans, etc as this little guy covers his face and cries.
Boy to human... sometimes in class I do feel as though that is the progression of life or is it vice versa - think about that one a bit.
THEN...
I was testing syllables for the report cards today. I had a little guy at the back table who I was testing. Here is what happened...
At this point in the story one of my sensitive little boys raises his hand and asks, "Was he a human?" I paused and said, "Yes... wait. What do you mean?" He asked again, "Was he a human?" I said, "An Indian? Or do you mean was he a grown up? Was he a man?" He said, "Yes."
He is a triplet and his brothers look back at him and say, "Man, do you even know what a human is? You are a human."
This sensitive little guys is beginning to well up with tears as he says, "Yes." Then I proceded to tell the class that we are all humans, etc as this little guy covers his face and cries.
Boy to human... sometimes in class I do feel as though that is the progression of life or is it vice versa - think about that one a bit.
THEN...
I was testing syllables for the report cards today. I had a little guy at the back table who I was testing. Here is what happened...
Me: "Ok... How many syllables are in your name?"
Him: *clapping the words* "Daw-son... 2."
Me: "How many in turkey?"
Him: *clap clap* "tur-key... 2."
Me: "How many in boy?"
Him: *clap* "boy...1."
Me: (turning to a girl who was talking and saying Shhhhhhh!)
Him: *clap* "Shhh...1."
Him: *clapping the words* "Daw-son... 2."
Me: "How many in turkey?"
Him: *clap clap* "tur-key... 2."
Me: "How many in boy?"
Him: *clap* "boy...1."
Me: (turning to a girl who was talking and saying Shhhhhhh!)
Him: *clap* "Shhh...1."
Hilarious.
5 comments:
Aww, how heartbreaking! That poor little boy! But I'm glad you left it on a high note with that cute little story :)
Hehe, that's too good.
so cute! little innocent 1st graders:)
Evidently I failed teaching syllables. One of my little first grade critters had 6, 8, or 10 as the answer to every word.
Me: How many syllables in the word "chair"?
Student: (after saying it an counting it) Six.
Me: How many syllables in the word "table"?
Student: (again, after saying it and counting it) Ten.
I give up.
Maybe I should have tried the word "shhhh".
Haha!! Classic :)
Shhhhhhh!
Post a Comment