Sunday, September 9, 2012

Marae Elizabeth Lefler - the birth story

Here is the birth story:

Saturday morning at 4:30 am I woke up with a contraction.  It was my first painful contraction and I wondered if I had just rolled over in bed awkwardly and that's why it hurt.  Deep down I got a little excited, but didn't fully allow myself to get too excited.  Then about 15 minutes later at 4:45ish I felt this THUD (as my mom describes it when it happened to her - like someone thumping a watermelon) that shook my insides.  I immediately got up, went to the bathroom and discovered my water was leaking.  It didn't gush, it just trickled.  I went in to Mason and said, "Hun, I think it's go time.  My water just broke."  He jumped up and said, "REALLY?!"  He was so excited.  He started bustling around the room and I said, but I'm not having regular contractions yet.  So we decided to wait a little bit just to make sure.  I took a shower and got ready.  

I called my doctors office and let them know that I thought my water had broken and that it was slowly leaking every time I got up from laying or sitting down.  But I wasn't sure if they wanted me to come in being my contractions were so far apart.  They said to come in and they would check if my water had broken and if it had they would admit me.

We called my mom to come up and had a relaxing morning and breakfast together.  I had sporadic contractions that were about every 15 to 20 minutes but nothing too painful.  My mom got there around 9:30.  We took our last family picture and we headed to the hospital.



While in the ER Mason and I were having a good time playing games on our phones and hanging out.  They check my fluids and yes my water had broken and I was dilated to a 5.  They were going to admit us!  They took us to the delivery room where we had the most phenomenal nurse ever.  She was an angel and the answer to all our prayers being our experience with nurses and doctors last time was so bad.  She had grown up trained by midwives and knew all sorts of tricks and positions to get the baby facing the right way.  Plus she had been doing this for 31 years.  She made our whole experience so wonderful.

They started the petocin once we got in the room, the contractions got pretty intense and at around 2:00 I got the epidural.  I hate that thing.  Ouch, but so worth it.  They had to insert it twice because the first time I guess he went in right where the doctor had gone in last time and hit scar tissue.  Eww.  But after that it was wonderful.  I couldn't feel a thing, unlike last time.  The nurse had me lay on my side to dilate more.  Then once I was dilated to a ten she checked me and realized the baby was facing the wrong way.  So she moved my bed so I was laying upside down for 15 minutes and sure enough, the baby turned.  Like I said, this woman was amazing.  I wish I could have her for every birth from here on out.

She sat me up and had me try and push to see if I was ready.  Sure enough... she said, "OK STOP!!  Don't push anymore.  I don't want to deliver this baby!"  She called the doctor (not my doctor.  This made me nervous because that's what happened last time, but Dr. Hu was amazing and so kind).  They set the mirror up because I wanted to watch, Mason suited up so he could help deliver the baby, and with 3 pushes or so our sweet baby Marae was born.

Marae Elizabeth Lefler
Born: 5:47 pm
September 1, 2012
7 lbs 9 oz. and 20 inches long

Welcome to this world my beautiful baby girl.
I'm thankful that I got the mirror to watch.  It was one of the most miraculous things I've ever seen.  I saw her little face.  I was crying the whole time.  It was just beautiful.  Her birth was everything I had hoped it would be.  Mason got to deliver her body and then handed her to the doctor because the cord was wrapped around her neck.  Then they placed her on my stomach and I held her (still crying) and just loved her.  It was a piece of heaven on earth.

Our angel nurse Cherie and Dr. Hu.
The proud daddy.








We are so in love all over again.  She is just beautiful and has a gorgeous full head of hair thanks to her daddy.  She actually looks so much like Mason's baby pictures.  She is the sweetest and laziest thing that just loves to be snuggled.  I love our little family of 4.

8 comments:

xantogal said...

AWWWWW. I cannot wait to see you guys again and meet sweet Marae :) Love and hugs!!

Jennifer said...

Made me cry...what a beautiful story...so happy for you!!

Kimmy said...

I'm so glad you got the birth you wanted. I thought the mirror was amazing too and plan to use it again! Congratulations on a beautiful baby girl!

Holly and Daric said...

Congratulations, she's beautiful! Glad it was a better experience for you this time around. :)

Ashley_Cameron said...

20Congratulations!!! She is so cute and does look just like Boone but with lots of dark hair. I love it! How is everyone adjusting??

Nicole said...

Awww, I just love a good birth story! They make me so happy! So glad you 4 are doing well, and that her birth was so amazing! :)

The Everts said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!! She is BEAUTIFUL! And what an amazing, easy childbirth story! I'm so happy you had a wonderful nurse. They really make all the difference. :)

The Stanford Bunch said...

beautiful story! Congrats!!