Saturday, June 2, 2012

My thoughts lately...

What a post without pictures??  This one is just for me... I've needed to put these feelings down.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how thankful I am for the knowledge that I have of eternal life.  There are been a couple instances in the past month that have made me stop in my tracks and think about my blessings and made me so extremely thankful for my beliefs.

- While out with friends the other night we got to talking about an old friend from high school whose husband, sister, and brother in law were killed in a head on collision on the way home from a family vacation.  The only reason she wasn't in the car was because her 4  year old daughter insisted that she ride with her in Grandma's (her mom's) car.

- Just yesterday on the street behind ours there was a man whose house caught on fire in the middle of the afternoon and he was found dead inside.

- Then, last night I found out that one of my dear friends brothers took his life and the life of his wife's 'lover' after being deployed in Afghanistan for a year and coming home to the affair and not being able to see his daughter and having his life completely in shambles.

Bam.  Sorry to drop that load on you readers.  But my heart has been really tender ever since I heard this horrible news last night.  My heart aches for each of these families who are at a loss.  None of them are members of my faith, but I want to share with them how I feel and words of comfort.  I am so blessed that I know/believe that we will see our loved ones again.  This life isn't the end.  Families are eternal.  That is one of the greatest blessings that our Heavenly Father gives us.  I have never had anyone close to me die - my grandfather died when I was 10, but I don't remember what that was like - but I'd like to think that if something horrible happened in my life (knock on wood) that I could bear it because of my knowledge in the gospel.  I can't imagine losing a child or a loved one without this knowledge.  It would be unbearable.

This life is hard.  It's sad sometimes.  The world is a cruel place and I can't wait for the day when everyone can be at peace and happy.  I feel so blessed to have my perfect little world around me every day that I often take for granted or even complain about sometimes.  I have a beautiful child and one on the way that I couldn't imagine loving anymore.  I have a wonderful husband who I trust and know is a good man.  I am so blessed.  Heavenly Father has blessed me in so many ways.  I just wish that I could eloquently express to others how I feel and share with them my knowledge and comfort of life after this.  But for now... this will have to do until the time is right.

2 comments:

Ken & Kristina said...

Beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Clayton and Niki said...

So true Allison. Trials would seem a LOT greater if I didn't have the knowledge I do. I don't know how people do it without the gospel.

I've read all about that story of the Marine. Didn't know you knew him. So so sad. I can't imagine how lost he was coming home from war and finding his life completely turned upside down. Tragic story.

On a side note, I just got your facebook message. I don't know why, but I don't get them on my phone, only when I log in to the computer (which doesn't happen too often). I'm so excited! Let's do this! Saturdays would be good for me so that Van can stay with Clayton. This Saturday, we have a wedding to go to out of town. How about the 23rd? We can meet for lunch around 12 or 1? Let me know if you can!