Sunday, September 11, 2011

Today we remember...


Today our nation is remembering the tragic events that happened 10 years ago on September 11th. My heart goes out to all those who are still feeling pain today and who suffered so greatly that day. I am so thankful to be part of such a wonderful nation where I am free and feel protected. Today in church we sang "America the Beautiful" and it touched my heart as to how blessed I am.

Mason and I were talking the other day how it was interesting that anyone 12 years or younger doesn't really have a strong emotional tie to or remember the day 9-11. It was such a monumental day in US history. I imagine it's comparable to the JFK assination that our parents went through, but doesn't really mean much to us. But yet it was life changing in so many ways.

I thought for journaling sake I should write down where I was 10 years ago today:

I was a freshman at college up at NAU in Flagstaff, AZ. I was asleep in my all girls down when I started hearing all kinds of commotion going on in the hall. There were girls running up and down the hall screaming and slamming doors. I remember thinking... "Come on girls! It's like 6:00 am!!" They usually stayed up all night doing that, but not early in the morning. My roomate Mary Crookston then got a phone call and I was again so frustrated that my sleep was being interrupted. It was her parents calling her to tell her to turn on the tv. She did and that's when I first heard the devastating news. She quickly left to go to class and I called my dad. I remember not quite knowing how to feel. I was at a point in my life, 18 years old and only one month after moving out of the house to college, where I was pretty self-centered and caught up in my own little problems in my own little world. I remember it shaking me to the core - something that I had never felt before. It's interesting as I have seen some of the pictures and videos now how much more they effect me. I just didn't understand some things back then... I don't think I understood the true horror of it all. My heart just aches for those poor, poor victims. But I do remember wanting to go home (which was 3 hours away) just to hug my parents and be with them. I went to classes that day and then that night I went to a candle lighting memorial that they held on one of the NAU fields. I remember standing amidst the crowd of people not knowing anyone, lighting my candle, and sending a prayer to heaven for all the poor lives that were lost that day.

Mason was on his mission when he heard the news. He found out by some people in the street telling him that the buildings were falling, the buildings were falling!! He had no idea what they were talking about until he walked into a shop. That must have been so hard to hear that way.

Today we honor the lives that were lost.

1 comment:

Lissa said...

I was preggers with Amber and driving David to school when we heard it on the radio. It was a hard day at work.... =(