Monday, August 1, 2011

Playa Del Carmen and Tulum

We arrived in Cancun Monday around 3:30 in the afternoon. Boonie did surprisingly well on the 3 1/2 hour flight over. We got the rental car, met Mason's parents and then headed down to Playa Del Carmen to find a place for dinner. I love Playa Del Carmen because of the beautiful cobble stone road and all the little shops they have. We ended up at a yummy place with live Mariachias.

As you will notice this is the ONLY picture from the whole trip that my hair is down. It was SO humid and hot there... There was no way I was going to attempt to do my hair. I've decided that I can handle the extremely hot temperatures of AZ, but I CAN NOT handle the 100% humidity heat. It's a whole different ball game. I remember that from when I had gone down there with Ryan before and had gotten sick from it. My recommendation is to visit Cancun in the fall/winter/spring months - because it sure is beautiful.

Tuesday morning we went to a presentation they had at the hotel (we stayed at the Mayan Palace) in order to get free breakfast and money for the week. Mason and his parents stayed for the whole high pressured 3-hour presentation while Boonie and I went back to the hotel for a nap. I got the better part of the deal on that situation.

After all that we drove down to Tulum which are some ancient ruins located on some cliffs by the ocean. It was gorgeous.



Tom bought a little book and was our tour guide.

Turtle Nests:

There were these giant iguanas all over!! This wasn't even then biggest we saw!

There is some speculation that these ruins could be the ancient Nephite civilizations. Many of their structures and times match up with the history. It was so amazing to try and imagine what life must have been like and what these beautiful structures must have been used for. In the one below you could still see some of the original paintings that had been preserved.


Did I mention it was hot?! Here is a very sweaty baby.



This building behind me was my favorite. Isn't it incredible?!




1 comment:

About us Everts... said...

I love it! How fun and you look so beautiful! Boonie looks like he loved it all!