Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Haboob

This is what came rolling across the state of Arizona yesterday evening.

What is a haboob you may ask? A haboob (Arabic ) is a type of intense sandstorm commonly observed in arid regions throughout the world. They have been observed in the Sahara desert (typically Sudan), as well as across the Arabian Peninsula, throughout Kuwait, in the most arid regions of Iraq, and Arizona. Sweet!

This was the biggest dust storm to hit Phoenix in over 35 years. I was driving down in Chandler today with my mom and everything was COVERED in dirt. I couldn't even tell what color some of the cars were they had so much dirt on them. My brother said that the winds got so bad in his area that it flipped his grill over.

I think monsoon storms are SO cool! Being my parents live in Casa Grande just 40 miles south of Phoenix their dirt storms are always the worst. By the time they hit Phoenix some of the dirt has blown off the massive cloud. Anyway, my mom said that she was driving to the church building and she was about 1/4 of a mile ahead of it. She watched it roll in and said that there were a bunch of bunnies trying to out run the rolling cloud. She said it was amazing and terrifying at the same time! I wish I could have seen that.

This picture below is a picture that one of my friends who lives in Casa Grande snapped as it was coming in. He added the monster mouth and airplane from 'The Mummy', but I think it fits perfectly!

I love monsoons!!

No comments: