Saturday, September 25, 2010

Boone Mason Lefler

He's here and more precious than I could have ever expected. I am just in awe at how tiny, perfect, and beautiful he is.

Monday night around 9:00 pm I was down at my parents house for the day going swimming hoping to get things moving along. Right as I was leaving their house I had my first real contraction, but it wasn't too bad so I was able to make the hour drive home by myself. I continued to have them periodically for the rest of the evening. I remember telling Mason when he got home from class at 10:00, "I'd be surprised if I wasn't in labor." But the contractions weren't too strong or frequent enough for me to really know.

We went to bed at 11:00 (well I unsuccessfully tried) and then around midnight I decided to get up and start tracking my contractions. They were about 7-15 minutes apart so I wasn't sure if that was the real deal or not. I was hesitant to wake Mason up because I didn't want to tell him I was in labor and then him have to get his substitute lesson plans set up and then have it be a false alarm. So I waited until about 2:30 am when I still wasn't sure, but they were consistently 7-10 minutes apart.

He got his substitute aligned and everything set up and then we just hung out at the house. I still didn't feel like the contractions were close enough to go to the hospital for. Plus, we didn't want to go to the hospital and get sent home, or go to the hospital and be there for many hours when I could go through the first part of labor at home. That's when I posted the previous blog. I should have mentioned I thought I was in labor at that point, but like I said, I was worried it was a false alarm too.

Around 1:00pm it was getting to be 4-5 minutes between each contraction and I was pretty uncomfortable so we decided to pack up and head to the hospital. When we arrived I was dilated to a 5 and officially in labor. They set us up in our room. At this point I thought I had wanted to do a natural birth. We were hoping to have him delivered by 7:00pm before our the doctor we liked got off and the next doctor from our group came in... oh well.

Well things got so intense and I was so uncomfortable and tired from no sleep that I decided to get the ephidural. That was around 4:00pm and I was at a 6. Shortly after that the doctor came in and broke my water so get things moving along.

Very long story short... they gave me petocin to try and help me progress, but for some reason (I think the epidural) things slowed WAY down. But it was nice because I couldn't feel anything and I could rest a little bit. Around 1:30 am the doctor (who I am NOT a fan of) came in and said that if I didn't progress within the hour we were going to have to do a C-section because the baby would be without water too long. So my nurse had me push and then she said that she thought if we got it further down the birth canal the doctor wouldn't need to do a C-section. So Mason gave me a blessing because that was something we didn't really want to do and we started pushing. Sometime within that amount of time is when my epidural came out.

But I think that it was a blessing that it came out. Although it was the MOST painful thing I have ever experienced in. my. life... it was also the most spiritual experience with my husband supporting me and me relying mentally on God through each push that I have ever had. Being the epidural came out i was able to have control over the pushing and I was able to progress enough. After 4 hours of pushing and wondering if this was the best choice... our sweet baby Boone was born.

The doctor was very kind and he let Mason deliver his body after he had delivered the head. I will never forget the look on his face as he delivered our baby. Then he placed him on my chest and cut the cord. As I said, it was such a beautiful thing. Every single time I think about it or talk about our experience I am overwhelmed with love, thankfulness and the spirit.

Here is our sweet little bundle of joy feeling quite pleased about his stats.

Here is the tired and wonderful daddy showing his new baby to his parents over skype. Some how I managed to marry this man.

We were in the hospital for a day and a half. Then we packed up and went home. I love how gigantic the carseat looks compared to our little guy. Oh he's just so sweet.

He's beautiful. We love him. I love how when he wakes up in the morning and i walk over to the bassinet thinking I haven't heard him peep for a while and he's just laying there bright eyed and bushy tailed looking around. I can't believe he's ours and that we get to keep him.

Heavenly Father has blessed our family so much. I am so thankful and left without words.

Thanks for reading this novel.


16 comments:

Ken and Kristina said...

I LOVE THIS POST!! Allison, CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so happy that he is here safe and sound. He is beautiful! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Britta Mosman said...

Oh I am so happy he arrived safe and sound and the three of you are doing great!! Giving birth is such a wonderful experience! You will be such a good mommy! I'm so excited for you guys, being parents is the best thing ever! He is so handsome :) Can't wait to see more pics! Congrats again! :)

Katie Goudie said...

Yay! He is adorable! I'm glad everything went well! :) Congratulations!!

Clayton and Niki said...

Congratulations!!! I knew when you hadn't posted in a couple of days you must have had him. I was thinking about you and thinking, "I wonder if she's a mom yet." It's so amazing that you go your whole life as one person, and then BAM, in one second you're someone's mom. Amazing. And Boone is absolutely adorable. How much did he weigh and how long was he?

Congrats to your precious little family! Can't wait for more pics!

Kara Miller said...

You've got me in tears! I am SO happy that you made it through a long road of labor and that Boone made it here safe and sound. Those first days are really so special and spiritual...I am choked up just remembering Ada's first days on earth and thinking of you, my dear friend, experiencing that with your sweet baby boy! He is darling, I love his chubby cheeks and little blond curl :) Congratulations!!

Lisa Lu said...

Okay, you made me cry! You did it! I've had all three of mine "natural" and you described it perfectly. Heavenly Father is there and there is nothing like it in. the. world. So proud of you both! He is a beautiful baby. Your little Boone!

Michael and Lindsay Condie said...

That is beautiful and you also got me crying. I am so glad he is here safe and sound. There is nothing like hearing about a new person in the world who will be able to grow up in a safe, loving home.

lauren elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lauren elise said...

this is truly beautiful! I'm excited to watch the lives of those who follow after Christ in everything they do. thanks for being a great example. i have a lot ahead of me, but your story encourages me to hold to what is promised! thanks

Julie said...

I am really so happy for you Momma! He is a really beautiful baby -- which honestly, isn't typical for newborns! I am SOOOO glad that you didn't have to have a c-section. Part of me wishes I had been more gutsy like you and just stuck with it :)

Kacy & Adam said...

Awwwe. I love it! You captured it so well and Boone is seriously to die for! He is such a gorgeous baby. Congrats to you and Mason, you are going to be fantastic parents and I hope the adjustment goes well. I will never forget that moment of holding Sydney right after birth..there are no words to explain the depth of love. Congrats again, keep the updates and pics coming!

Kimberly said...

Your family is so adorable! I feel kind of proud for you! Way to go. I can't wait to talk to you and hear more about it. Good luck little mommy!

xantogal said...

I cannot find the words to express my feelings... I feel blessed to be a part of your life, and so eternally blessed to know you and your family. You and Mason are the best parents for Boone! I love you guys!!

Everts said...

He's so cute!! I'm so happy for you that you didn't have to have a c-section. I would give anything to have my babies the natural way but that will never happen. Congrats new mommy!!

Mike and Tanya said...

oh my goodness, no epideral for 4 hours you are my hero! I am so happy for you! He is so sweet. I have to see him! I will be down in Nov from the 1st to the 6th for Mike's brother's wedding. I want to see you and you little Boone then! I'm so glad you are happy!

Amy said...

I loved reading your birth story! Boone is perfect! Congrats to you guys... What a lucky boy to have you and mason as parents.

Can't wait to meet him:)