Monday, August 30, 2010

Cactus do have thorns...

This past weekend we got invited to go over to one of Mason's middle school team members home where everyone on the team was gathering for dinner. As we got out of the car Mason saw a tiny baby lizard. Now any of you who know anything about Mason knows that he loves anything tiny and cute that he can possibly catch - which is exactly what these baby lizards are. Really they are just darling. Well he goes after it and the people we were visiting have a beautiful desert garden filled with many types of cactus. I'll bet you can see where the story is going here...

So the little guy runs under a cactus that looks similar to the one below - I think it was a prickily pear, but I'm not sure. Me thinking that Mason knows, doesn't say anything as he starts to stick his hand down under the cactus. Now the thing about these types of cactus is that they don't look like they have thorns. But the have millions of teeny tiny thorns sticking out of each bud.


So he doesn't realize that these are there and as I am watching him I realize this and say, "Hun, you do realize that even though you can't see the thorns, they are there..." He pulls out his finger and it, no joke looks like this:

His finger was covered in tiny red thorns. He was so surprised and shocked being 'you can't seem them!' I had to laugh and call him an ignorant Utah boy. He was also surprised at how painful those little buggers are to get out! He's still finding them in his finger. Gotta love these cacti!

1 comment:

xantogal said...

That is too funny. For that reason alone, I never ever touch or put my hand near ANY type of cacti!!! I learned the hard way, like someone else I know... hahaha