Wednesday, July 14, 2010

To the man in the checkered shirt...

I went out to lunch with an old roomie, Emily, today to catch up. Well halfway through our lunch I see Mason come in with is mom, sister, and Grandma. They had no idea we were there. We watched them sit down and he didn't notice us since we were sitting across the room a bit... probably 5 tables away. So I get this brilliant idea to write him a note (actually I had Emily write it so he wouldn't recognize the handwriting) on napkin to make him notice us:

Dear Man in the Checked Shirt,
I couldn't help but notice you from across the room. I'm usually not this forward, but I was wondering if you were available. I would love to get to know you more. If you are available then please check this box (inserted box)... If not then please just throw this note on the floor.

So I explained to the waitress that I had just seen my husband come in and would she please deliver the note to him just for fun. She said, "Oh, I am SO into this!" and walked away with the note in hand.

So Emily and I watch as she walks by his table, but we never quite see him read it. But then we saw him intensely reading something so we assume our waitress had given it to his waitress. I asked the waitress as she passed by if she had given it to him and she said, "Oh yes!!" and then she reenacted the whole thing including a wink that she had given him. A little while later I get a text from Mason and we make eye contact and laugh about seeing each other there.

Well later today when I get home I say, "So did you like the note?" And he asks me, "What note?" I say, "The note I wrote on the napkin!" He had no idea what I was talking about.

Apparently the waitress had given the note to some other man in a checkered shirt. Some man is either very flattered tonight and at home telling his wife that some woman was trying to pick up on him today at Chili's or else some bachelor is wondering why when he checked the 'available' box he received no answer.

HA!

12 comments:

Jennifer Starr said...

LoVe this story!!!!!!!

Lindsey Boskovich said...

That is HILARIOUS!!! I love pranks like that. It even had a surprise ending. :)

Quindi said...

I am very jealous you and Emily got together without me and I did not get to witness this.

Ashley Jane said...

That is absolutely hilarious! I would so do something like too haha. Good story!

Michael and Lindsay Condie said...

That story totally made my day! Definitely one for the books.

Kristina said...

Very, very funny!!

Tanya said...

holy crap, that was hilarious!

Hybrid said...

Hey. You have a great blog. Thanks for sharing.

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/thinkhybrid or check out my blog @ http://hybridnow.blogspot.com/

Beej said...

I wandered in here from the 'next blog' button and wanted to tell you how much I appreciated my morning laugh! This was great and the man who received your note had a special surprise gift, didn't he?
(I bet his wife is watching out for any telltale signs of an affair now. har!)

Scratch the hostile fay said...

that's messed up.

Scratch

Mom said...

What a lovely story! I enjoyed it tremendously. I see you're expecting a baby. Congratulations. I have a grandson and my daughter is now expecting a girl. Enjoy your pregnancy. It's truly a miracle.

Rocky and Amanda said...

I love it!!! That is hilarious!!!