Friday, June 11, 2010

Rear-in-gear...

Yesterday at around 2:00 as I was driving home from a lunch date with my mom and Grandma I got rear-ended. It was a bit crazy! I was only two blocks from home turning off of a busy street into the subdivision. Well, the guy behind me apparently didn't notice that I was turning and slammed into me going about 40 mph. I was already in the process of turning right (there was no turn lane) so he only clipped my left drivers side.

Luckily neither of us were hurt, but it scared me so much. At first I wasn't sure what to think being I'd never been in an accident before. The first thought that went through my head was, "You better not keep driving, buddy." Because I had turned right and he had pulled to the side of the road straight ahead. I don't know what I would have done had it been a hit and run. Luckily he backed on to the street where I was parked. After I saw him pull onto the street my next thought was panic. My seat belt was really tight across my stomach and I became TERRIFIED that something had happened to my baby.

I burst into tears and start shaking but luckily the people who's house I had stopped in front of came out and started talking to me asking if I was okay. They had heard the screeching tires and the crash. It's a good thing they calmed me down. I went over to the man who was probably 65 or so who was driving an old pickup truck. I asked him if he was okay which he was too, thankfully.

The people who's house I was in front of called the police and they told them that I was pregnant. Well... did you know that if a pregnant lady gets in a car accident it is taken very seriously? Yeah, I felt pretty special as two fire engines and an ambulance, along with three police cars show up in a matter of minutes. There were about 14 medics/officers standing around my car trying to get me to go in the ambulance saying that it's better to be safe than sorry. I didn't want to go because being we moved down here my insurance doesn't cover everything and I was worried about the small fortune that would be quickly built.

Plus right after the accident happened I said a small prayer that everything would be okay and that Heavenly Father would watch over my sweet little baby and protect him. While the medics were checking my blood pressure I felt him kick. So I knew that he was alive. That was one of the first questions they asked me, "When was the last time you felt him kick?" He was kicking at the moment they asked me that so I felt okay in not going in the ambulance.

I assured them that I would have my mom drive me over to the emergency room. About that time my mom showed up. Keep in mind this is all happening at around 2:15 in the middle of the Arizona 104 degree day. It was HOT! The people whose house I was in front of brought me a gatorade and then invited me in while the report was filled out.

I was a little worried because my license expired in January and I thought for sure I was going to get a ticket. But I think the officer felt bad enough for me that he didn't say anything or write me up. I swear I was going to do it tomorrow... but I'm sure that's what everyone says when they get caught with something like that. Sure, sure... but I really was!! I was just waiting until I moved down here.

SOO... (if you are still reading, I'm impressed) We got the report (all his fault) and then headed over to the hospital. But before we left the sweet, little driver of the truck came over to me in tears saying that he was so sorry and that he had no idea I was pregnant. He said he was a Grandpa himself and that he was so worried. He told me he would call me the next day to make sure everything was okay. That was very nice of him.

Once I got there they immediately put me in the maternity ward and hooked me up to a machine where they monitored the baby's heart rate and to see if I was having contractions or leaking fluid. They did a couple of blood tests and an ultrasound to see if the placenta had separated. Halfway through this time Mason got off school and found out what happened and headed over. He got there just in time to see the ultrasound. They did a 3D ultrasound which was so cool!! I had never had/seen one before so it was amazing to see the little guy. We even got a picture of his face. Oh I just love him to pieces.

After the 4 hours was up and everything was fine I got to go home. I was so blessed that it wasn't more severe. I am so thankful that our baby was kept safe and that there were no complications. We were so blessed.

Here is a picture of the back side of my car. It doesn't look too bad, but if you look closely the entire truck is shoved up and to the left. I open it. It's actually sitting on top of the back window a bit. I think it's a good thing he was driving a truck that was a bit higher off the ground. Otherwise there may have been more damage.


And here is that beautiful baby boy that I got to see close up. Isn't that the sweetest face you have ever seen? Oh I am just in love.


12 comments:

Kristina said...

HOLY COW!! Crazy story! I am so sorry about the car but I LOVE THAT BABY PICTURE!! (why am I shouting?) Seriously, the cutest! Hope this week goes better for you.

NaTasha said...

I'm so glad you and your baby are okay! PS your baby boy is absolutely adorable! :)

Michael and Lindsay Condie said...

So sorry to hear!!! But I'm so glad everything turned out OK. Your baby is..... so....... cute. He looks so peaceful in there, you must have a good, safe environment for him to protect from the accident :) That technology is amazing! I think you can even see the resemblance to you and Mason.

Kara Miller said...

He it totally smiling in that ultrasound pic!
So glad that you are okay. I'm sure it shook you up quite a bit! Loves :)

Josh said...

Allison, glad you are okay... what a terrifying thing for a new-to-be mother. You are a talented writer... I think anyone who reads your blog gets a good idea of the feelings that you feel and express.It's very touching. God bless you and Mason, and of course your new baby boy!

Clayton and Niki said...

I'm so glad you and the baby are ok. I can't imagine how scary that must have been. I would have absolutely freaked. How cool that you got an 3-D ultrasound. I wanted to do that so bad, but never did. I think I'm a little too far along now. His face is probably squished and scary looking at this point. haha. Your baby is adorable.

Kacy & Adam said...

Yikes! That sounds super scary and something you surely shouldnt have to deal with! Im glad everything is okay and worked out so you could get a 3D scan :D Thats awesome and he IS adorable! The prayer part of your story gave me goosies...I love a good ending :)

Britta Mosman said...

Oh my goodness! That is really scary! So glad to hear that you and baby are doing ok :) Yeah we will have to get together! I don't know if I can give you very many pointers on being a new mommy, haha. It's for sure a learning process :) Your little guy is so cute! When do you find out where you guys will be in the valley?

xantogal said...

I'm sad that I missed hearing about this sooner... I'm so glad you are all ok!

Kayz said...

WHEW! What a relief! You are so so so lucky. Thank goodness God was watching over you. Cool story about praying and feeling him kick when asked. =) You can tell he's gonna be a cutie! =)

CorinneLynn said...

I know exactly how you felt, I was in a car accident when I was prego with Jayne. Someone lost control in front of me and I hit them going about 15 mph
All was well and Im glad it is with you too!
Enjoy pregnancy it goes sooo fast!

Ivy and Derett said...

I am sooo glad to hear you are ok! (Long over due comment) Love the 3D pic, it's crazy but they totally look like it when they come out and it's funny how you think they will look different but they don't (atleast I thought this anyways)