Thursday, April 15, 2010

My tact...

Recently I have been having a real issue with being tactful... I don't know what the deal is... Seriously... here are 4 instances where I have felt REALLY bad because of my tact:

1 - One of the first grade teachers (heh, heh, heh when she reads this) who I will not name one day came in with a mark on her neck. Yes... I decided at the lunch table to call it out by saying, "Nice hickey." She was embarrassed... but laughed it off with the rest of my team. This was the least offensive of all my tactless remarks.

2 - There is a 3rd grade teacher who dyed her hair blonde over spring break. I thought it looked nice and I told her so. She said she thought it was too blonde and that she was going to go back to the girl who did it that night and get it fixed because she hated it. The next day as I was walking by her in the hall I said, "I thought you were going to get your hair fixed last night..." She said, "I did." Nice Allison.

3 - One of the substitute teachers at the school was eating lunch with us. As we were talking with everyone at the school it looked to me like she had a black eye. She had a major dark ring around her eye. So, what does Allison do?? She says, "Oh my gosh, how did you get your black eye??" She looks confused and says, "What?" I then proceed to try and deflate my comment by saying it must be the light or something - while all the other members on my team did the same thing. I felt so bad ESPECIALLY when the next time I saw her she was wearing makeup. Dang it.

*This one is by far the worst*

4 - I am taking an excel class at the district and have been for the past 4 weeks. We sit at the same computers each class. The same lady has been sitting in front of me since the beginning. I have even done one of the assignments with her. She had turned around and we had worked together. Well the last week of the class I noticed that she had her arm inside her shirt in a sling. Being friendly and nice I asked, "How did you break your arm?" No Allison... she didn't have a broken arm in a sling, actually no sling at all... she was missing an arm completely and has been since she was a child. I wanted to crawl out the door and disappear. How do you recover from a comment like that??

I think I need to be put in a muzzle. Yes I work with 6 year olds but does that mean I have to talk like one? Geez... so if I offend you with my graceless tact... please forgive me. My intentions are good - I promise.

7 comments:

Everts said...

Oh boy... that last one is bad. lol Don't worry, I asked a girl in my class how far along she was and she then told me she wasn't even pregnant... yeah. I wanted to die, oh and I was pregnant at the time. Maybe it has something to do with being pregnant. Your brain has too many brain farts or something. Sorry!

Kara Miller said...

ALLISON!!!!! You had me crying I was laughing SO hard! I could barely re-read your post to Matt I was crying so much! Oh dear. Blame it on the pregnancy brain :) That one about the arm...it's like something Michael from The Office would do! How did you not notice before??

Stephanie Saunders said...

Totally hilarious. If you get any worse, you'll be as bad as Kent ;)

Kristina said...

Ha ha ha! I've heard these before and I STILL get a kick out of them... mostly because I witnessed a few of them firsthand. But for the record, I will testify that it DID look like a hicky (and it was, wasn't it?) and I was pretty sure she had a back eye as well. Ahhhh... but at least I only THOUGHT it!! You said it!! :)

xantogal said...

I'd totally blame it on being pregnant... tho I have no experience with that. Ha.

Kayz said...

As long as you never call someone prego when they're not, I'd say these aren't so bad!! And you're TOTALLY right...great intentions (just reaching out with a sympathy comment). Funny stuff...but I'm sure you didn't feel too funny at the moment. You're a doll!

longge said...

Hogan is well appreciated by their clients because of its sporty look as well as high utility function. These Hogan scarpe donna can be used daily since they are rough and tough and go well with different outfits. They would suit perfectly be it a sports event or any casual event. Hogan scarpe uomo has taken special care to design Hogan uomo so that their regular clientele and new customers are happy with the end product.