Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Project Summer

My goal this summer was to learn how to sew.  So...  I got out the old machine and here are a couple of projects I've been working on.  I've been having so much fun making things for friends!

When I went to Casa Grande back in July I went to Enrichment with my mom and we learned how to make these nursing covers better known as hooter hiders.  I LOVE making these.  I have made 3 so far and I just love picking out the material for them.

Then with the leftover material from the hooter hiders I make a matching burp cloth.  So easy to make and really cute!

This was the first thing I made.  A receiving blanket.  My sister-in-law Ashlee taught me this one.  I made mine a bath blanket instead.  Again, really simple to make.  I never knew sewing could be so easy!

This project I did yesterday in about an hour.  It was inspired by Kyle's wife's sister, Lindsey.  She redid a footstool so I hauled myself to DI and picked up a chair.  I've been needing a piano chair and this worked perfectly!  This was SUPER easy.  It only took me about an hour.  (then of course the stain had to dry but that's it!)

Here it is when I bought it.

Then I removed the cushion.  It's the first time I've ever used a drill.

Then I stained it.  I chose the dark walnut color to match my piano.

I chose a wild leopard print to go along with all my Africa things I brought home last summer. 

Stapled it on with a staple gun.

Lastly I sprayed Polyurethane on it to give it a nice shine and seal the stain and ta-da!!  The finished product.  

I love it!  I'm sitting on it right now.

9 comments:

Hilary said...

very inspiring! I need to make myself a hooter hider (love the name) and I have always wanted to learn how to turn crappy furniture into really cool chic furniture. Where did you learn how to re-apolster( sp?)...I would be afraid to ruin it...love the projects...all looks great.

Everts said...

Wow! It all looks so cute!! I love the chair. So stylish. I nee to learn how to sew again. It's such a money saver!!

Michael and Lindsay Condie said...

The chair looks AWESOME!! Also your sewing projects are super cute! I don't have the patience for that kind of thing... ugh!!

Kimberly said...

That's really awesome!

Kara Miller said...

You are so crafty! I am so lucky to be on the receiving end of your wonderful talents :) Thank you!!! Good talking to you yesterday...cell phones will not foil our conversation!

Julie and Scott said...

Hey!!! I LOVE your Nursing Covers :) You have inspired me!

Stephanie Saunders said...

How crafty! I haven't been brave enough to use stain for anything yet. I'm always afraid it's gonna come out looking blotchy, but yours looks good!

Kristina said...

Geez, Martha Stewart! I love it. You're brave too. I would never have thought of recovering chairs. I have chairs to my dining room table that are like that. Maybe you could help me redo them too.

Tanya said...

I'm totally impressed. We really do need to live by each other, so you can rub off on me! I had no idea you liked projects like that- so fun! That chair looks amazing!