Sunday, May 10, 2009

Grow where you are planted (please)

Our landlords have built some boxes for their gardening and they said that we could have one box.  I have never had a garden before - seeming as plants don't seem to want to grow in the barren Arizonan wastelands.  So I was extremely excited to be given this plot of land to attempt some form of life.  Mason comes from the all-knowing background of how to do these things.  Every year his parents and grandmother have this lucious garden filled with all kinds of things.  So I feel blessed to have him helping with our first garden.  So here's what we planted:

Two cherry tomato plants, two Big-Boy (as they are called) tomato plants...

...I am the most excited about these 6 strawberry plants...

...and then we have two rows of Romaine lettuce, a row of peas, a row of beans...
(while we were planting my brain was fried from trying to get the kids under control at school so I kept calling them beas and peans.... that's what we refer to them as now... our beas and peans)  and then lastly we have 3 rows of corn.

I'm super excited.  I hope they grow.  I also hope that the Bambi (deers) that walk around don't eat their little heads off... our landlords are going to put up a fence.  I have also started growing different herbs: Basil, Mint, and Cilantro in a pot outside our door.  

Look at me... I'm all domesticated... or trying to be... maybe this summer I will learn how to sew.

4 comments:

Britta Mosman said...

Wow! That is so exciting!! I wish we could grow a garden. Maybe when we have a house we will do our best to have one! Lucky you!!! Keep us updated on it:) How's school going? You are almost done! Yay:) That's exciting!
I do footzoning on the side of working as an office manager. Hoping to get it to take off so I can work from home. :)

Stephanie Saunders said...

Isn't there something about gardening that makes you feel officially domestic? I just planted some stuff in the garden bed that Kent made me. Unfortunately, the kids think it's a giant sandbox and Erik has already stepped on some of my poor little sprouts. Aside from that, i usually kill anything that has leaves. We'll see if it works. Keep us posted!

The Everts said...

That's cool!! I am wanting to start gardening but I was just thinking of like a flower or two and some herbs. lol

xantogal said...

The only gardening I do is at my Grandmother's house. Anything I plant there, grows. If I try it anywhere else, it dies LOL.
Today's word: cottle. "Did ye see the cottle graazing in the field as we passed it?"