Thursday, May 14, 2009

The color of butterfly wings....


This is one of my favorite times of the school year.  I order caterpillars and we watch them take the amazing transformation into butterflies.  It truly is a magical thing.  It amazes me each year.  I order two cups with 5 caterpillars each.  They start off tiny and grow and grow and then finally go into their chrysalis.  This picture below is one just beginning to hang and transform.  You can see the others in the background already inside their chrysalis.

I have the kids keep a journal of the changes and then once they all hatch we take them outside and release them.  It's always so much fun because the butterflies don't always fly away at once.  They spread their wings in the sunshine and sit on the flowers.  This year was fun because it seemed like they didn't want to leave so the kids got to take turns passing around the flower and holding it.  I love how enchanted they all get by them.

We had one little guy whose bottom half of his wing didn't form all the way so he couldn't fly.  So I took him home and let him go in our garden.  He got to be the center of my attention for a while there.

For all of you mothers out there... this really is an amazing thing to do with your kids.  Every year I have mom's ask me where I got the net and everything.  It's also relatively inexpensive.  I ordered the net and cups at www.insectlore.com and got the whole thing for less than 30 dollars...  I ordered it two year ago and that's what I paid for it then...  I wouldn't imagine the prices have changed that much.

6 comments:

Everts said...

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing. We just had a FHE lesson how God created all the animals and insects then we made butterflies. Ethan loved it. This would be perfect for him! Heavenly Father is so awesome that he created such beautiful butterflies. :)

Kristina said...

I loved popping into your classroom and seeing their progress. I want to join you in butterfly-ville next year!

xantogal said...

I remember the first year you did that! How fun that you still do that! I noticed your little 'mouse' girl... she's adorable.
Happy Day!
Word of the day: elsomana
Definition: slang for 'insomnia'. (If you were too tired and didn't know what you were talking about). hahaha

Dorothy & Tony said...

What a wonderful idea!!! How can I order those. Zion would love that! I bet the kids loved that experience. They are so lucky to have you as a teacher. I bet they have so much fun with you! I love butterflies they make things seem so heavenly!

Sherine said...

Oh what a fun project.. thanks for providing the order info:)

adamshuler said...

How fun! I bet those kids will remember that for a long time. The closest thing we had in our school was taking care of a gecko!