Thursday, February 19, 2009

Real Reason...

The main reason that Mason and I went to Arizona was to be trainers in a leadership camp that my dad and Ryan have done for what seems like forever. This is kind of a family tradition that has been going on since Ryan was 12 years old. He started it at that age and every year since we have either participated in it or been trainers over a group of kids. The camp is geared for kids in the county that have leadership potenital or who come from troubled homes and their teachers see potential in them. Teachers select 10 kids from their school and they get to come to the camp. It's an awesome thing. I was so excited to have Mason come with me and have us be over a group of kids. I haven't done the camp for about 5 years so I was nervous and hopeful that I would remember all that I needed to teach.

We were over a group of 20 kids. These kids were hilarious and amazing. I am use to working with 6 year olds and these kids ranged between the ages of 12 to 14. I worried about being able to relate to them... but it was much easier than I thought. Throughout the week of the camp the kids do activities that build teamwork and are put through different challenges that help teach them different ways to think about their lives and set goals. It's a powerful week full of emotion. I couldn't believe how close I felt to these kids after spending just a couple of days with them.

Mason and I also met Patrick. Patrick is one of my dad's students that also participated in the camp. My dad teaches a class involving all of the material at the camp and so the other trainers at the camp were all from him classes. Patrick was amazingly full of energy. We loved him to death and he was a great example for the kids. The kids called him Jet Lee. They loved him too!

It was a good bonding experience for Mason and I. He got to see my family in a light that he has never seen them in before and the same for them seeing him. This is a picture of all the trainers. Kyle and his wife Stacey came too. It was the first time we have all been together in Casa Grande since Kyle got married. We had a fun time. So like I said, the rest of these kids are my dad's students.

This is random... but Raena is one of my dad's students who I use to babysit about 12 years ago. She was darling then and she still is now. It was fun to see her at this camp all grown up. Oh my little Raena!!

I feel so blessed to get to be a part of this camp year after year. I love seeing the kids on my team begin to view their lives differently. It's amazing when a child of an alcoholic suddenly realizes that they don't have to follow in their parents footsteps.

It's such a great week and I am so thankful that I got to take the week off of school and go down there to be a part of it.

2 comments:

Kara Miller said...

What a rewarding experience...I loved being an EFY counselor for that reason. I was always amazed by what my kids were going through and how they rose above it!

daniel said...

hey guys its Daniel!!! why are there no pics of me here lol jk.

miss ya guys