Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A 'Leybas' Christmas

This year was the first year that I didn't go home to Arizona for Christmas. My married brother Kyle also did not get to go home either so the Sunday before Christmas all the 'Leybas' children that were in Utah got together and tried to have our usual Christmas - including our traditions. We had a lot of fun. It was a nice night. We missed our parents and little brother... But here are some pictures of what went on.

We have a tradition of making tamales every Christmas Eve morning. My father is hispanic and that is something that we have always done. Every Christmas Eve morning the assembly line forms and we mass produce about 6 dozen or so. So Christmas doesn't smell like Christmas to me unless there is the scent of tamales cooking all morning. So that's what we did. I home made (thats right!) the masa and the meat. I was very proud of myself. Then when everyone got there we put the tamales together and got them cookin!

Here I am checking the water levels...


They turned out REALLY good!


Mason mashing the refried beans. Thank you so much for the recipe Emily - they turned out delicious! (This is the face I usually get when I pull out the camera for Mason)


The appetizer while the tamales were cooking...

Mason and Kyle doing the dishes...


Kyle's sweet little Stacy, Ryan and Carli waiting for the tamales to finish...


Ryan and Carli...


All the presents under the tree! I was surprised at how many there were! They weren't all for Mason and I... after everyone left we felt like there was nothing left... oh well.


Now this video may seem common to all of you viewers out there but I must preframe this before viewing... The Leybas' have NEVER, really, NEVER before gotten together and sang a Christmas song. There is usually so much sacrasm and boys being wild that there is never any chance for anything other than insanity. So when Carli - Ryan's girlfriend suggested that we all sing a Christmas song I was more than delighted. Ryan was the ONLY one who opposed so he was out-voted and we sang some songs while Kyle played the guitar. Thank you Carli... maybe his insensitivity can be changed after all!

video

After dinner we sang some songs, opened presents and then played Cranium. While we were playing the game we watched the Leybas tradition of 'Monsters Christmas' (don't worry if you haven't heard of it that's because it hasn't aired on TV since 1981... some things never die in our house) and of course 'The Christmas Story.' Then during the game we decided that whoever lost had to take their shoes off and go running through the snow. Ryan and Carli lost... here is what happened. When you hear the click at the end of the video it was because I thought I had turned off the video but really I took a picture... so us walking back in the house is an accident. Oops.

video


It was a fun night and I'm so happy that everything turned out so well.

6 comments:

Josh said...

What a fun Christmas! Your family has such interesting (and I'm sure hilarious) traditions! We got your Christmas card... thank you so much! Hope you have a wonderful New Years too!

Emily said...

Running through the snow? That is really funny! Glad your mexican dinner turned out good. Next time you guys are here you can cook mexican for me :)

Kimberly said...

That sounds fabulous! We had such a hard time finding good tamales in UT. Little did I know I should have just hit up Kyle for some. Merry Christmas!

Dorothy said...

What an awesome tradition! I would love to taste those tamales! And Tone and I got a kick out of your Carmel apple post. the pic of Mase is priceless!

Melodrama Mama said...

Hi Allison!
The tamales sound great! It is hard to be away from family at Christmas but it is great to start your own traditions too! Leave me a post w/your address and we will send you a New Year's card with our details from the White House!
WENDY

Mrs. Lefler:
Hi, it is me - Nick. I hope you had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year. I am having a good time in third grade. I am learning about multiplication again. We started multiplication in second grade. Spanish is my least favorite subject. Do you speak Spanish? I miss your class and I look at the book you made for me a lot! My teachers name is Mrs. Hill. Everyone says she is the best in third grade. I met the President at the White House party! I started reading Harry Potter. I finished Sorcerer's Stone.
From, Nick

Kara Miller said...

I loved this so much because I got to hear your voice! I didn't realize how much I missed it :) Thanks for your adorable Christmas card...love you guys!