Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day In First Grade

Due to the fact that it is Election Day today and the polls were set up right outside my classroom door, we talked a lot about the elections. I had given the kids the assignment to go home and ask their parents who they were voting for and one reason why they were voting for them. So the kids came to school today all excited. We talked about how voting works and how everyone has the right to their own opinions - which REALLY is a big deal in first grade because everyone always wants to force their opinion on the other - which usually gets pretty loud and exciting with 6 and 7 year olds.

So they all came this morning with their choice for President in mind because I had told them we were going to have an election today in our class. We started having a discussion and they were sharing their reasons that they had interpreted from their parents or come up with on their own. Who knows what their parents really said, but these are the reasons that I got for why they were voting for their chosen candidate. If you still aren't sure who you are voting for, perhaps some of these arguments will help you make your decision.

The Real Reasons to vote for John McCain according to a first grader:
- "He the greatest man in the world."
- "He won't steal money from people."
- "Obama wants to kill all the babies in the world."
- "He's smarter."
- "Obama is a bad man. Probably the worst in the world." (STRONG OPINION!! I'll hate to break it to this kid tomorrow when Obama probably wins)
- "Obama won't put his hand over his heart. I always put my hand over my heart."

The Real Reasons to vote for Barak Obama according to a first grader:
- "Because he wants to save the polar bears and penguins."
- "John McCain won't let people have guns."
- "Because he's rich."
- "He is tall."
- "Obama is stronger than John McCain."
- "He's just an old man." (The reason he won't vote for McCain)
- "He wants to bring all the soldiers home."

These were just some of the opinions they had. I wish I would have written them down because they were pretty funny. Of course we talked about how they are both good men... but it was interesting to see how passionate some of these kids were for their President. So I set up a little voting booth in my room and had a ballot with both names on it that they could circle their choice. The kids got to come and vote in private and then I gave them a sticker and thanked them for voting. It was awesome because as they were walking over to our little booth they had on the most serious face ever. They really took this seriously. Then they would walk back to their seats and sit there very proud that they had just voted. I loved it! Some of them talked about who they voted and others said they didn't want to talk about it because it was 'private.'

Needless to say, the results came in and if the world were ran by Mrs. Lefler's first grade class the new President would be John McCain. 20 to 6.

And then of course they were chanting their chosen President's name for the rest of the day... They always seems to take it a bit overboard. Haha!

3 comments:

The Stanford Bunch said...

this is so cute and I love your halloween costumes! - we live in PA!

xantogal said...

Wow. How fun to have a mock election in your room. There were kids on my playground yesterday who actually starting hitting another kid with their lunch boxes because of who he said he would vote for. I told them it didn't matter who anybody would vote for and they shouldn't be hitting others anyway...

Kayz said...

=) My fourth graders voted too and I WISH I'd had comments like those. =) They did the same (voted on President {between the top 6} and governor) and some were biting their nails saying, "I don't know who to vote for, ..I don't know..McCain says this, but Obama says this..." =) It's great when they get in on the issues. Your class sounds SO cute! PS remember how you're the best teacher?!X