Sunday, August 17, 2008

Last Africa Posts

So this blog will be about the 'non' service side of my trip. We worked during the work days and then on the weekends we got to play.

One night we went to this nicer restaurant and they had goat... so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it. Needless to say the next day as we were passing the little guys on the side of the road I had a hard time looking them in the eye... I guess there isn't much difference between a cow and a goat... right? It was actually delicious! One of the other girls ordered some type of fish... needless to say - a delicacy in Uganda is to suck out the eyeballs. She did.




This is me standing at the Nile.

This is the typical 'missionary pointing on map' pose.


This was the closest I was to Mason the whole trip.


So one morning there was this random Hippo walking down the road. Of course we followed it. This was, of course, before we learned from one of the military men that hippos are the number one killing animal of people in Africa. Probably because of stupid tourists like me. But hey! I got the picture didn't I?!?


These are some pictures from our safari. It was absolutely amazing to see these animals in their natural habitat.



I loved it. Like I said before this was a life changing experience for me. It made me appreciate the things I have in my life more than I can even begin to explain. These people were so happy with so little and yet I often find myself complaining about my life when I have so much.


Here are a couple of videos that you can watch if you would like. This first one is of a boy who told me his name was Michael Jackson. I asked him if he knew who that was and he started dancing with them. Towards the end of the video the kids are climbing in the van so I am trying to get them out. Only a few of these kids spoke English.




These girls wanted to send Mason a message after they saw his picture. It is basically impossible to understand what they are saying because they would get so silly whenever the camera came on and all talk at the same time. I couldn't seem to get them to understand that I couldn't understand what they were saying. They were hilarious.



Often when we would go to the schools the kids would prepare a song for us. This was the last school we went to the day before we left. It was the perfect ending. It made me cry. Listen to the harmonies. Aren't they beautiful?

4 comments:

The Millers said...

That song is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard! I love the videos :) They are so precious!

Josh said...

Haha! That's so awesome you get to teach the ballroom class! You'll be just fine cuz as I remember you were quite the waltz dancer! Plus they don't know anything, and when I remember dancing in elementary school the biggest deal was the fact that I'd have to TOUCH A GIRL!!!! Somethign I wanted so bad but it was terrifying, Haha! You're African Safari looked so fun! I totally get what you mean how we don't even realize that we are such high maintenance people back at home. In the rest of the world, many of the people don't have anything, let along anything to complain about... we are so blessed. I love Utah! Haha!

Clayton & Niki said...

That song was beautiful. It made me cry! (But if you'll remember I'm a bawler, so that's nothing new) haha. When I think of beautiful harmonies, it always makes me think of you. I remember one of the first times we hung out, we were in my truck and I think it was an Uncle Cracker song that came on the radio, we both started singing different harmonies to it and then we just looked at eachother and started laughing...that's when I knew we'd be good friends. I also remember when we'd sit next to eachother at church, we would always switch off singing the melody or the alto parts, I always loved singing with you. I miss you mug...or were you hug??? (Do you remember that?!?) haha

Kayz said...

How funny that you went to west Africa and I went to eastern Africa, but how it just feels like the same place. I love that you have videos to post on here! Thanks for sharing (beautiful singing and fantastic dancing). So, um, wanna go to Kenya, Greece or India next summer? ? ? ? ? Or is that not a possibility, since you're all grown up and married and stuff??? How were the other people that you went with to Ghana? I seriously can't even tell you how happy I am that you ended up going!!! And are you SURE that was your LAST Africa post? Can it be your 14th to last Africa post? More please. =)