Thursday, July 31, 2008

Africa

So I have returned from my adventures around the world. I had such a wonderful time I wonder how I can even begin to capture my feelings. It was such a wonderful experience for me. It is something that I believe that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I was so blessed to meet the people I did and to do the things I did. I suppose I will just post some pictures and then tell stories about what I was able to do. These pictures and stories might come progressively as I am getting ready for school to start and feel quite busy...

We arrived on Saturday morning after traveling for over 48 hours. The next day we went to church. These were some boys that were walking home after the services. I loved seeing how even in a country where circumstances are less than favorable the church still exists and I was able to have a common ground - the gospel - with these members. This picture just touched my heart. I loved it. (You will probably hear me saying I love it quite a lot - because basically everything I did I loved.)

This is how the mom's carry their babies. Brilliant!

This is Olivia. Olivia has been an orphan since she was a baby. She wanted me to have this necklace she made so that I would "never forget her." I wore the necklace the whole trip. She was such a sweet girl. The above pictures are other children at this particular orphanage.






There must be a place in heaven for children like these.


So we spent a lot of time in the schools. We taught dental hygiene, nutrition, and set up hand washing stations in the schools and then just played. We went to about 40 schools total. Some were in the capital of Uganda - Kampala and others were out in the villages.
More to come later!! I'm still trying to upload all my pictures and figure this blog thing out.

8 comments:

Emily said...

What a cool experience. I am excited to see more!

The Millers said...

WOW!!! The story about the necklace made me cry. How sweet. I bet the kids just adored you! Good luck getting everything ready for school...I feel your pain! Love ya :)

Clayton & Niki said...

Can't wait to see the rest! How are you?? I miss you! :)

Josh said...

Alleeeeesonish! Reading about your awesome and long awaited experience was great! I'm so happy for you that you finally got to do it! We're having an awesome time over here too! It'd be awesome if you could come visit haha!

BrettnJana said...

Allleeeesoooon!
How goes everything! Yup we have an 8th month old, and we are due again in January!! They think it's a boy...but we'll see on Aug. 28th! So you look great and happy and MARRIED! I'm so sad I missed it! Please keep in touch!
Love ya!

Misty said...

Your blog background looks cute. I can't believe what an unbelievalbe time you must have had. My favorite part of traveling is going to the different branches in the church and feeling the humble spirit that exists.

I showed Makena your pictures and she was excited to see you. Good luck getting school year going.

Kayz said...

Yeah AllISON! =) Don't you just LOVE the gorgeous Africans? I love the necklace your little rafiki made for you...that's so much better than stopping somewhere to buy some souvenir, huh? Ugh, October seems too far away to swap Africa stories! Til then, I'm checkin' out your blog on a daily basis. Keep those pix and stories u' comin! =) Love ya girl!

longge said...

You can pay up the price once and replica handbags will remain with you for the rest of your lives because of the high quality material and canvas used in the making of louis vuitton handbags . The color of this louis vuitton bags is a true reflection of the glory and the sparkling water. lv would be used to bring that shone to your life which had always been missing.