Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Getting Ready To Go...

So here I am, the day before I leave to go to Uganda. I am so excited! I am so excited because this is one of those things that I have dreamed of since I was a little girl. I can't believe that I am actually going tomorrow. For some reason I think that I have these big dreams, but here I am actually getting the chance to live one of those dreams. My heart is full of appreciation to everyone who has helped me and for the support that I have received. My only regret is that I wish that my husband were able to come with me to create these memories. I hate the fact that I am going to be on the other side of the world than him for a whole month. I come back July 21st. The thing is, is that I had decided to go to Africa before I even met Mason... it just got postponed... I was suppose to go last summer but we ended up getting married instead. So now I am going this summer before we start a little family. It's going to be an adventure!


This is me and my backpack full of my personal things that I will be taking. I have a couple skirts and shirts packed in there that I will be leaving. This is a brand new camping backpack that I have only used once. Mason bought it for me last year and I think he is nervous I will ruin it... but I suppose this will put it to the ultimate test. Thanks hun, I'll be careful I promise!











These two gray boxes are full of donations that I have been collecting for a while now. I got a lot of donations from the wonderful families in my first grade class. One lady in my old ward made 45 of these hygiene kits for her birthday. It was her 45th birthday so she had her kids make 45 of them for me. Wasn't that sweet?? To the left is my little money belt next to my passport that I have to wear on my person at all times. Everything valuable I have to keep in that. Luckily I'm not taking anything valuable... just my passport. I have a fake wedding ring from our honeymoon in Mexico that I will be wearing.


The organization I will be going with is called Reach the Children. You can read more about their organization at http://www.reachthechildren.org/. We are going to be training teachers how to teach in the orphanges. We will be teaching hygiene, dental hygiene, gardening, and other things. I can't wait. I am a little nervous... I think that I am a little in denial about the fact that I am really going... but here it comes, tomorrow!

8 comments:

The Stanford Bunch said...

Wow Allison! That is REALLY exciting! Good luck and have fun!!!

Chad Martell & Teresa said...

i know youre already gone, but i think that is so amazing! you are so wonderful and im glad you went! you will have a wonderful experience! the kids you are about to meet are so blessed! take care, and cant wait to read more when you get back!!

Josh said...

Wow Allison how great that you're getting to do this! I remember hearing how excited you were about it a very long time ago... and now you finally get to live another dream. Enjoy it! Write in a journal about it! And be sure to blog about it so we can all see! Good luck!

The Millers said...

I am so proud to call you my friend Allison. This is such a wonderful thing you are doing! You will touch so many lives while you are in Uganda. Be sure to keep us updated throughout this month! Love you and good luck...Skype is fabulous for keeping in touch with hubbies!

Misty said...

Allison- I know you have already left and I'm jealous of all the wonderful experiences you're having. Makena loved you so much as her teacher and I think it's so great that you are passing on your skills and talents to those teachers and children in Africa. Good luck and be safe.

Kayz said...

I got your message and am so happy to hear that Africa was amazing for you!!! =) It makes you wanna go back, huh? =) I can't wait for you to post pix!!! Luv ya!

Clayton & Niki said...

Ok, I know you're back and I'm dying to know how your trip went. I check your blog almost every day, and still no update!! :) I want to see pictures!!!! I hope you had an awesome time.

longge said...

You can pay up the price once and replica handbags will remain with you for the rest of your lives because of the high quality material and canvas used in the making of louis vuitton handbags . The color of this louis vuitton bags is a true reflection of the glory and the sparkling water. lv would be used to bring that shone to your life which had always been missing.